Nov. 3 No School– Election Day/ Teacher Professional Development
Nov. 5 PTA Meeting 6:30
Nov. 7 PTSA Fall Craft Fair
Nov. 9 Spirit Wear Fall Sale kickoff
Nov. 11 PTA Council @Arno 7:00
Nov. 12 Picture retake day
Nov 13 Mother and Son PTA night (More info to follow)
Nov. 16-Nov. 23 Book Fair
Nov. 19 Parent/Teacher Conferences
Nov. 23 Student Half Day 11:40 Dismissal- Parent/Teacher Conferences
Nov. 25-27 Thanksgiving Break- No school
Nov. 30 Reflections Tea Celebration 6:30
It seems like just yesterday that we were welcoming everyone back, and now we are already up to conferences. Parent/Teacher conferences will take place on November 19th 5:30-7:30 and November 23 12:30-7:30. Information will be coming home soon on how to sign up for a slot that works for your schedule. We will be using Sign-up genius, a web-based program where clicking a teacher link will take you to the open time slots. Information will be coming out next week in the form of an e-blast and blog posting with all the links for the building. We are hoping for 100% participation so please be sure to read all of the information on how to sign up for a time.
Top Tips for your Parent-Teacher Conference:
1. Be on time! Remember, 5 minutes early is ‘on time,’ and ‘on time’ is late. Mark your calendar and set a reminder in your phone or on your computer.
2. Be prepared! Really there’s only one
question you need to ask your child’s teacher: How can I best help YOU help MY child? Have these other questions in mind, however, and be ready to LISTEN to your teacher’s answers, suggestions, and recommendations.
- What would you say are my child’s strengths & learning opportunities?
- How would you rate my child’s behavior and what does it tell you about my child’s learning style?
- How should I track my child’s performance? Are there examples of my child’s work and is it completed on time and at an appropriate performance level?
- Do you have suggestions for things we can do at home to better support my child’s learning? What types of books and educational games do you recommend for my learner? Is there a list of suggested readings?
- How would you grade my child’s social behavior, do you have any suggestions for him or her when it comes to friends?
- What am I not asking or noticing that I should be?
3. Write it down! Don’t hesitate to take pen and paper and write down important notes your child’s teacher makes regarding your child’s learning successes and areas of improvement. Digest the discussion then refer to your notes at a later time to refresh.
4. Share with your child! Let your child know what YOU learned about his or her classroom successes and behaviors. Note some of your favorite aspects of the classroom and what you liked most about the teacher. Take a camera and photograph favorite artwork you liked in the room!
Attending conferences might seem like just another bullet point on a parent’s already lengthy to-do list, but attending with the goal to enhance your parent-teacher relationship will make it a positive experience for everyone involved!
Fun Run Update
Halloween at Arno…
Arno happenings… From perfect pumpkins to roller coasters
PTA Mother/Son Night
Picture Retake Day
Put those smile back on as picture retake day has been scheduled for Nov 12. Please contact the office with any questions you may have.
Monster of a Book Fair
It’s almost that time of year- book fair and conferences. We are pleased to announce that we will be holding our book fair this year the week of conferences on Nov. 16-23. The students will have the opportunity to purchase books during the school day. after a preview and parents will be able to shop on both conference dates. Please click on the information letter below for more information. Specific classroom schedules will come home from your child’s teacher. Makes a great Christmas gift!
Smencils: (Smelly Pencils) are for sale each Tuesday morning in the Media Center for $1.00. The proceeds go to our PBIS program. If your child would like to purchase one, please send in $1.00 with them and they will be called down during the day.
Please understand that for the benefit of everyone who drops off or picks up, there is No Parking allowed on our side of Markese, Fox, or Thomas during drop off (8:00-9:00) and pick-up (3:00-4:00) at any time. If you must park to walk your child, you are required to park along another side street and walk in. It is not an ideal situation, but necessary to keep up the flow of traffic around the building. Again, if you can help out in any way with traffic before or after school. please contact the office.
Have a great week Arno families!