September 2022

Welcome Back to the 2022-2023 School Year!!

Best Year Ever Stock Illustrations – 156 Best Year Ever Stock Illustrations, Vectors & Clipart - Dreamstime

Welcome back to the what quite possibly will be the Best Year Ever!!

On behalf of the entire Arno staff, I would like to welcome all of our wonderful families back to another great school year!  I would also like to extend a warm welcome to those families who are new to our building this year, a truly remarkable year awaits you.  We are very excited to get started with much anticipation of Cougar success.

As we look ahead, we believe that this will be a banner year- bouncing back from the pandemic and doing so strong and together!  Arno will be assessing and analyzing our data carefully to plan our next steps and start erasing any losses that occurred the past two years.   I look forward to all of our future accomplishments this year as we help all of our students at Arno master their academics!

We also continue to look forward to all of the fun PTA events, assemblies, and other possible events as we are able to offer them.    I believe in all of our students and staff here at Arno and I know it’s going to be an unbelievable year of accomplishment!

Start Strong!!

Coming soon to Arno…

August 22

Office Reopens

Sept. 1

Onalaska ISD - Meet the Teacher

Meet the Teacher (Schedule below)

• Meet the Teacher Night will be an Open House on September 1 from 6:30-7:30pm.
    • Students are encouraged to attend Meet the Teacher Night with their family.
    • Meet the Teacher attendance will be staggered to help with parking  Please arrive and depart promptly according to the schedule below.
  • Families will be divided into two groups by alphabet with 20 minute sessions (6:30-6:50 and 7:00-7:20)
  • Last Names A-M — 6:30-6:50pm
  • Last Names N-Z — 7:00-7:20pm
  • If your family has multiple last names, please follow the schedule for your oldest child’s last name

September 6

Free Welcome Back Clipart Pictures - Clipartix

Student First Day

September 8

PBIS Stations

First PTA Meeting 6:00

September 15

First Fire Drill 10:30

September 22

Tornado Drill 2:00

September 23

PTA Fun Run

September 27

Fire Drill 2:00

fall - Google Search | Leaves illustration, Autumn trees, Fall wallpaper

Arno Vision

Arno Elementary will provide a system of support to empower

and inspire students to become collaborative learners

that strive for academic excellence

Parent Connect- Student Placement Info

It’s time to complete the “Back to School Updates” located through your parent connect portal. This takes the place of school buildings sending home emergency cards/paperwork to be updated. The instructions are below along with the steps to request your PIN and password if needed.

ALL enrolled students, including new enrollments for this school year, are required to have the “Back to School Updates” completed by a parent/guardian, before their teacher placement will be available to view.

Please click on “Need Your Login Information,” on the Parent Connect Login page left tab, to access your PIN and password before emailing parentconnecthelp@appublicschools.com for assistance. (When emailing for PIN and password please include your students name, school and your name and email address.)

The 2022-23 Back to School Updates are now available to complete. You can access the Back to School Updates from your “Back to School Updates” tab found in the upper right corner of your parent connect page once you login.

You will need to click on the “Update Now” for each student and confirm all the areas.

Arno Teaching Staff 2022-2023

Young fives Jeanine Haskin
Kindergarten Cassie Harrison
Kindergarten Nickie Roller
Kindergarten Cristina Mercer
First Grade Julie Martinchick
First Grade Barb Pushman 
First Grade Dawn Watson
Second Grade Nicole Amonette
Second Grade Alexandra Cervantes
Second Grade Megan Schultz
Third Grade Sarah Kalis
Third Grade Renee Guyot
Third Grade Rachel Warneck
Fourth Grade Megan Johnson
Fourth Grade Emilie Talamonti
Fourth Grade Aaron Huntington(Pending Board Approval)
Fifth Grade Ciara Zuke
Fifth Grade Lindsay Garza
Fifth Grade Erin Higgins
Cross Categorical Classroom Jessica Eskew
ECP Program Sara Bleau
Life Skills Stella Boyer
Media Lit Arno/Bennie Katie Jensen
Media Tech Arno/Bennie Carrie Solak
Art Arno/Bennie Elisabeth Cunningham
Art Arno/Lindemann Rachel Trapani
Speech-Language Pathologist Andrea Alvarez
Vocal Music Todd Burke
Instrumental/Vocal  Music Steven Cross
Physical Education Arno/Bennie Lisa Smalley
Social Work Arno

School Psychologist

Marisa Tringali

Debbie Green

Resource Room Aly Kubik 3-4-5

Nicole Nasutovich- K-1-2

ECP Speech Taylor Cuddy
Reading Coach/Title I Beth Wesley
ESL Jennifer VanMael
Math Coach Erin Jackson

2022-23 Door Assignments

Door Assignments

From the PTA

Welcome Arno Cougar Parents!

The Parent Teacher Association (PTA) is an all-volunteer, parent-run, non-profit organization that works cooperatively with school administration and educators to provide opportunities for our students and families to socialize by providing fun family events and in-school opportunities. We have provided assemblies, family activity nights, playground/gym equipment, student technology, staff appreciation, and so much more! We will have a table setup during Meet the Teacher Night on Thursday, September 1st at 6:30 PM and will be located by the main doors. There will be information available regarding planned events for the 2022/2023 school year, PTA membership forms, and general PTA information. We know it’s a busy night, but please stop by and see us! 

The PTA Membership Drive will run from September 1st through October 14th and our theme this year is “Fall into the PTA”.  The class that receives the most memberships will win an Ice Cream Social!  Forms will be sent home on the first day of school and a link will be posted on our Facebook page. You can find us on Facebook by searching @arnoelementarypta – be sure to like our page, we occasionally give away cool stuff like Detroit Tigers tickets! Check out the flyer below for more details on the PTA and scan the QR Code to link you directly to our Arno PTA membership page! Please consider joining – the cost is $7 and your membership helps support so much we do for your child. 

Our first PTA meeting will be held in the school cafeteria at 6:00 pm on Thursday, September 8, 2022. The meeting will take place in-person and childcare will be provided for all Arno students. PLEASE JOIN US! If you’re looking for school spirit wear, we will be selling it online from November 16th through November 30th, so mark your calendars! More info will be available in the coming months. 

Our annual FUN RUN FUNDRAISER will take place from September 12, 2022 through September 30, 2022. The actual Fun Run will be held Friday, September 23, 2022 on the playground. This is our biggest fundraising event! It’s because of the fun Run and the support from our Arno Cougar families that we are able to offer free family-fun events and opportunities for our students. More information will be sent home with your child in the coming weeks. 

We have so many fun events planned for the school year and we need your help! Please consider volunteering or serving as a chairperson at one of our events. If we do not have a chairperson for an event, it is at risk to be cancelled. For more information or if you would like to volunteer, please email the PTA at arnopta@gmail.com

We are so excited for the 2022/2023 school year and can’t wait to share these great experiences with our awesome students! 

Amazon.com : Back To School Supply Box Grades K-5 - School Supply Kit Back To School Essentials - 32 Pieces : Office Products

School Supply Lists 

This year we are continuing to use Teacherlists.com to post all of our supplies.  You can access the lists down below from the click-button.  This feature also allows you to choose a store, if you wish, which auto sets up the list for purchase and lets you finish the process without ever setting foot in a store.

https://www.teacherlists.com/schools/31210-arno-elementary-school

1,793,087 Welcome Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images - iStock

Welcome to Arno!

This year we are pleased to welcome to the Arno staff: Jessica Eskew- CI program,  Marisa Tringali-Social Work, Ms. Aly Kubik- Resource Room, Aaron Huntington- 4th grade(Pending Board Approval), and Erin Jackson- Math Coach.    Welcome to Arno Jessica, Marisa, Aly, Aaron, and Erin!

Jessica Eskew

My name is Jessica Eskew and I am from Wyandotte, MI! I received my B.S. in Elementary Education with a major in Cognitive Impairments and Masters in Teaching and Learning in Special Education with a concentration in ASD from Wayne State University . Personally, I have been married for 1 wonderful year and recently had a daughter who is 3 months old.  We love to play with our Golden Doodle Sammy. In my spare time I enjoy reading, cooking, and music.I am excited to be a part of the Arno family and help each child progress in all areas of their development—academic, social, language, and motor.  I strive to create a community of learners that nurtures this growth in a positive, fun environment.

Marisa Tringali

Hello! My name is Marisa Tringali and I will be the school social worker at Arno Elementary School this year. I graduated with my undergraduate degree in elementary education from Michigan State University and got my masters in social work from the University of Michigan. Last year, I was a long term school social work substitute at Bennie Elementary and I am so excited to continue my time at Allen Park Public Schools. I look forward to helping our students make this year their best one yet!

Aly Kubik

My name is Aly Kubik and I have the pleasure of
being Arno’s Resource Room teacher. I will encourage
all students to become active participants in their
education and in the school community.
I have a Bachelor of Arts in Special Education from
Eastern Michigan University. This is my first year
teaching and my second year in the district as I served
as a long-term substitute before taking this position.
I was born and raised in Allen Park, graduating
from Allen Park High, Go Jags! I also coach the Girls
Varsity Basketball team.
I am committed to providing your child every
opportunity to have a successful year! I am very excited
to be a part of the Arno family!

Aaron Huntington

Hello, my name is Aaron Huntington and I am a graduate of Michigan
State University with a degree in  Elementary Education with a focus on
Language Arts and a minor in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of
Other Languages). In the winter of 2020 I graduated from Grand Valley
State University with a Masters of Education in Educational Technology. I
have ten years of teaching experience, with five of those years being in
fourth grade.
​    I live right here in Allen Park with my wife and two children. One of our
favorite things to do as a family is walk to any of the amazing parks
around the city. My favorite subjects are English and Science, but I love
certain aspects of them all. I love to see students reading and enjoying
books as much as I do.
I am a hardworking, responsible, and confident person with a continued
passion for elementary education. I believe a great teacher helps children
with the learning process and guides them to finding the answers for
themselves through discussion and discovery.
My interest in teaching was sparked as a child. My grandfather, my
grandmother, and my mother were all teachers or child care providers, so
I feel like I am stepping into a role that has been there for me since I was
young. My mother ran a child care out of our home, so I was always
around children and I would always volunteer to help. Becoming a teacher
was the most natural career choice for me.
I am extremely excited to begin this year at Arno as a fourth grade
teacher. I look forward to meeting everyone and becoming a part of the
Allen Park school community.

10 Ways to Cope With Big Changes | Psychology Today

Additional changes for 2022-23

Please also welcome to Arno staff Angela Monte and Katie Alsobrooks, both new additions to our classroom paraprofessionals.

Mrs. Jensen, our current CI teacher, will be moving into the role of Media Center teacher, which will take on some new STEM initiatives in the years to come!

Brian Trionfi, one of our 4th grade teachers, accepted a position in math over at APMS.  We thank Brian for all that he has done for Arno and wish him the best in his new position!

Home - Prairie Crossing Elementary

General Information

ELEMENTARY SCHEDULE

• All students will attend in-person instruction Monday through Friday from 8:30am – 3:30pm.
  • Bus transportation will run according to schedules provided through the Transportation Department.

GENERAL INFORMATION

• Suspected or confirmed COVID-19 cases must be reported immediately to the school office.
  • Please report all absences to the school office by 9:00am.  
  • If you still have a district-owned Chromebook from last school year, it should come back to school with your child on the first day.  Please make sure the charger is included.
  • All students will be issued a district-owned Chromebook during the first week of school. 
  • Every day, Chromebooks and chargers will go back and forth from home to school.
  • Please ensure that your child’s Chromebook is fully charged each night before coming to school.
  • Students will need headphones or earbuds that will remain at school.  Label with your child’s name. 
  • Supply lists are on the school websites or blog, and sent to families.  Supplies are able to be dropped off during Meet the Teacher Night or brought on the first day of school.
  • Individual water bottles are recommended.  Please consider a pop-top or straw-type if possible to avoid spills onto school materials or technology.  Label with your child’s name.
  • Please practice independence with shoe tying, zippering, buttoning, and other clothing features with your child.
  • All grades will administer the NWEA to students in person by October 1.  Your child’s teacher will provide these details to you.
  • Our PTAs provide support to our schools in many ways.  Please look for upcoming information on ways to join our PTA.

VISITORS

• At this time, visitors will be welcomed in the building. Meetings may be held by video chat or in person, depending on the nature of the meeting and comfort of the participants.  
  • Whenever possible, please refrain from bringing forgotten items to school after the start of the school day. This includes homework, classwork, textbooks, etc.
  • All visitors MUST go to the main entrance and use the doorbell to inform the office staff what you are at the building for. Office staff will let you know from there what you should do. Please do NOT enter the building when doors are open during arrival and dismissal. 
  • When picking up a child early, please ring the doorbell and let the office staff know who you are picking up.

ARRIVAL PROCEDURES

• Doors will open upon the morning bell at 8:30am.  Students may enter at the assigned entry door (see attachment).
  • Students should not be lining up prior to 8:30am as there will not be outside supervision for students.
  • All doors close at 8:35am
  • Arrival beyond 8:45am will be considered tardy and students must be buzzed in through the front doors of the school.

FOOD SERVICE PROCEDURES

• The free Breakfast and Lunch program during Covid has ended.  Families will now have to pay for those meals or apply for free or reduced breakfast/lunch. 
  • Please apply for Free & Reduced Meal Benefits by October 1, even if you think you may not qualify.  Our schools receive additional funding for the number of students eligible for Free & Reduced Lunch.  Applications and directions are available on the Food Services page of the AP website:  Food Services Website
  • Breakfast and Lunch may be purchased by loading money on to your child’s account: https://www.mypaymentsplus.com/welcome
  • Breakfast will be served in the cafeteria this school year.  Front doors will open at 8:10 and students must finish by 8:30 to be dismissed to class.  
  • All students will eat lunch in the cafeteria.
  • Students may still bring lunches from home if desired.
  • Please avoid sending lunches with peanut butter products whenever possible.
  • Please practice the process of opening food packages with your child.  Encourage your child to open food packages independently.
  • Whenever weather permits, students will have outdoor recess.  When we approach winter please be aware that we go outside as long as the temperature is 20 degrees or above. 
  • During inclement weather, recess will be held indoors.  

SPECIAL CLASSES

• All special classes (Art, Music, Phys Ed, Media Lit & Media Tech) will be held in specials classrooms.  Schedule will be provided by your child’s teacher.

Please consider the following for specials:

• Phys Ed classes require students to wear tennis shoes and comfortable clothing.
  • Media Tech classes will require headphones and Chromebooks.  
  • Art classes will utilize shared materials.  

DISMISSAL PROCEDURES

• Dismissal time is 3:30pm at assigned dismissal doors    
  • Parents with multiple children: please meet your youngest child at his or her exit door first.  Make a plan with your older children about where to meet you (wait at their door, meet at a designated spot, etc.).

What you need to know about PBIS? - TherapyTravelers

PBIS 

Arno Cougar’s PBIS expectations are set to provide all of our learners a positive environment and include Being Safe, Being Respectful, and Being Ready.  We will be working on these expectations during the first week of school with all grade levels as we implement stations throughout the building that each class will tour and hear from a speaker about expectations for each area.  Students will hear about the bus, the hallway, the cafeteria, assemblies, and the main office.  In addition, we are looking forward to the Super Cougar lunch with the principal (monthly), Cougar cash, Cougar Store, and Monthly Rewards.

This year is going to be awesome!

SMARTER | The connected smart kitchen – Smarter

Starting Smarter

Please check out the state of Michigan’s Start Smart website that will help you understand all of your child’s M-STEP test scores and how best you can help them.

Starting Smarter Link

Image result for kids lining up for class

Line-up Procedures

Line-up procedures will remain the same as last year with outdoor lineup

• Students should line up at their assigned door

• Parents will not permitted to enter with students/stand in the halls- normal protocol to sign in with the main office does not change

• Students will enter the classroom at the 8:30 bell

Be Careful Safety First Safety Sign MGNF971

Traffic Pattern

Parking/Drop-off

As we all need to get our children to school, safety is always the primary concern.    We will do our best to help ensure an orderly drop-off/pick-up daily, but we need your help in making that happen.

** No child should run across the street to get into a car.

**Help our traffic issues around school by parking a block or so away and WALKING your child before and after school.

**School traffic flow MUST go clockwise around the school. Make sure that your passenger door is ALWAYS closest to the curb.

BE SMART! BE PATIENT! BE CARING! BE KIND!!! BE RESPONSIBLE!!

2022-23 School Information

Office is open daily:           7:30-4:00

School day for students:  8:30-3:30

Breakfast:                               8:10-8:30

Latchkey hours:                  7:00-8:30

3:30-6:00

Student arrival time:          8:20

Half-Day dismissal             11:30

*If your child is not picked up consistently 20 minutes past dismissal, you will be required to enroll in latchkey services.  

Lunch time sign stock illustration. Illustration of businessman - 113379992

Lunch Times

Grade K             11:00-11:40

Grades 1/2       11:30-12:10

Grades 4/5      12:00-12:40

Grade 3            12:30-1:10

Breakfast Times

All Grades       8:10-8:30

National School Lunch Program

Breakfast and Lunch Program

The U. S. Government has ended the free breakfast/lunch program for all students as of June 30.  This year, it is important that everyone fills out the Free and Reduced Lunch form, which will increase your chances of qualifying for one of those programs.  The number of approved free and reduced applications also greatly affects the amount of Title I funding from the Federal Government, which is used for our at-risk program here at Arno.  I urge everyone to fill out the form, even if you think you may not qualify.  If you have any questions, please feel free to call the office.

**If you believe that you may qualify for free or reduced lunch, we ask that you please submit the application as soon as possible.  Our total count for free/reduced lunch helps the district receive federal funds to run our Title 1 program and help our at-risk students.

If you are not sure about the guidelines or have any other questions, please call the office @827-1050

Allen Park Public Schools Food Service Link

The Last Word: Do You Really Need to Eat Breakfast? | Everyday Health

Breakfast Change

Since the free breakfast program has ended, families will either have to pay, or be approved for a free or reduced breakfast if your child would like one.  We will no longer be sending home breakfast at the end of the day, instead we are going back to normal system we had in place.  If your child is signed up for breakfast, they may be dropped off at the main office doors starting at 8:10 and report to the cafeteria to eat.  Please note that breakfast is not served past 8:30 a.m.

To purchase breakfast/lunch, please go to the following link: MyPaymentsPlus

Put On Your Smile…

Please mark your calendars for October 6 for picture day, retakes will be on Dec. 2. Information will be coming home soon.

Image result for attendance matters

Student Attendance

Please read the attitude article on the importance of student attendance, which is mandatory by the laws of the State of Michigan.  Please be aware that we are required to follow up with families either verbally, in writing, or both when absences reach the 10 full day mark.

RtP_Attendance

Although we cherish every birthday here at Arno, we wanted to remind everyone that birthday food treats are not allowed and will not be brought down to the classroom.  Pencils, bookmarks, etc are acceptable alternatives.  Thank you for your support!!